This is Singapore, the vibrant city I live in.
This is my house, the home I go back to.
I live in a very vibrant urban city but I love my quiet home because after a long day in the city; its a place to go back to. After the trades and transactions, the deals and all that needs to be done, regardless if it’s a quiet day filled with joy or one bustling one with challenges, there’s nothing like coming home.
Coming home makes me feel settled. I can find refuel, find rest and feel the love again.
Then very soon, I will be charged up again, ready to go.
The Root Note
In the same manner I love my home, I love the root note in playing good guitar.
Just like a house we go back to, the root note is a place of harmony, rest, a home to go back to.
Cherish the root note as the stable home you can go back to. It’s a place you can surely win in playing good guitar. Don’t neglect it, the Root Note is the first note in making good music. It’s a good place to start.
Here’s some Good Guitar Practice using the Root Note
- Get a simple chord looping in 4/4 in the background using a looper pedal.
(I suggest a simple C or Am chord)
- Play just the root note of the chord.
- Listen to the beat. Then when and where you should play it.
- Feel the note even if it’s just one note. Feel also the space between the note.
- Experience, the sense of harmony, rest and what it means to be at home everytime you hit the root note.
- End this exercise, trying to step out. Not too far. Just in the vicinity but always come home.
Check out The Best Guitar Looper if you don’t have one.
How is the root note for you? Do you feel home?
In life, where is your home? Is it a physical home or maybe it’s a home in the heart. Maybe it’s a person? How do you feel when you are home?
Leave me a comment below or after knowing the Root note, you can check out the best way to know the Major Scale.